Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Veggies Your Kid's Will Eat.

We all want are kids (and husbands) to eat more veggies and less junk?  This is how I make brussels sprouts and cauliflower.  They gobble it up like it was chocolate chip cookies!  OK, I might be exaggerating a tad, but my family loves veggies this way. 

Our meals have evolved into the veggies as a main course and the protein as the side.  This has been a process that my kids probably aren't even aware of?  Sometimes we moms have to be sneaky and stealth like.

Raw or lightly steamed is nutritionally preferable,
but if my kids won't eat them that way what good is it? 

I'm not sure where I got this from?  Sorry I can't credit the source.  I think I saw it on a cooking show, not sure, but we've been cooking veggies this way for years.

I use my pre-cut frozen garlic to speed up the prep. for the veggies on week nights when we have soccer or volleyball practice.


I thinly slice a head of Cauliflower and spread it out on a cookie sheet. 
I toss is with the chopped garlic (the more the better, but we are garlic freaks), and a couple tablespoons of grape seed or olive oil.  We have a family of four.  This always looks like way too much, but the cooking shrinks it.  Sprinkle with some sea salt, fresh ground pepper, and some red pepper flakes if you like it hot.

 
Roast at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.  Toss after ten minutes to roast evenly.  I have a convection oven, so if you don't you might have to cook these a little longer.



The edges should be lightly crisp and browned.


 The only bad thing about this is I love leftovers and we never have any! 
My family gobbles it up!


This works great for brussels sprouts too.
 I chop them in a food processor, cook them the same way as the cauliflower, and finish them off with some chopped pecans or walnuts.

Click to show "Brussels sprout" result 8

How do you get your family to eat more veggies?

Thanks for checking it out.

3 comments:

  1. Its so funny because I read your post title and thought "or my husband will eat" and then I saw your first sentence! FABULOUS! Thank you for sharing- trying this tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Meg! I still like him after being married to him for 16 years. I want him to be healthy so I push the veggies and tell him looks sexy when he eats them. Works everytime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say, I have never been a fan of Cauliflower. My mom always made it so mushy and nasty, but you make it look so good! I may have to actually give it another chance and try this. Thanks!
    Oh and I am a big garlic freak too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...