Thursday, January 27, 2011

Drink Up!

With so many of us re-focusing on our health after the Holidays, one of the best things we can do for our bodies is drink enough water. We have all heard "drink 6-8, 8 oz. glasses of water a day," but for many of us that doesn't begin to meet even half of our daily water requirements.



Maybe you are walking around in chronic dehydration? Are you tired, is your skin dry, do your joints ache, do you get headaches, are you having trouble losing those few extra pounds you put on over the Holidays?




You might be dehydrated?
Did you know you have a 20% higher chance of sustaining an injury during exercise when you are dehydrated?








A better gage for daily water requirements is to drink half your body weight in ounces of water. More if you exercise. (not all at once).



I found a great website to calculate your exact water needs, it factors in your climate, exercise times, and other factors to give you a daily water intake goal. To find out how much you should be drinking click Here.















I love these 24 oz. Contigo autoseal BPA free water bottles. I strive to drink at least three of these water bottles every day, four when I do a hard workout. I carry one of these pretty much wherever I go and sip water throughout the day. I bought the three pack at Costco several years ago for under $20. They are easy to use (just squeeze the top around the neck), they never leak, I can measure how much water I drink, the kids love them, they're hard to break (we have managed to crack them on the tile floor). I can't find them on the Costco website, but I just bought another 3 pack right before Christmas, so I think they still have them?

As always, consult with your doctor if you have a preexisting health condition. If you aren't a huge water drinker, it's a little difficult at first to adjust to this much water intake. You might want to start on a day when you have easy bathroom access. Don't worry your body will adjust quickly.



Happy Sloshing!

3 comments:

  1. Great advise! I couldn't agree more. And guess what? We actually have that same water bottle, well, missy the runner does. She takes it everywhere and loves it. Have to cut this comment short to fill up a glass!
    Here's to you, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe that's my problem! I don't drink enough water!!

    Where do you get drinking water? Do you filter tap water, buy purified water, etc.? I'm not sure what the healthy source anymore.

    ~Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually use the filtered water from my refrigerator, but it takes too long when I'm in a hurry. I'm thinking of getting the Brita water pitcher I saw advertised on the Biggest Losser?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...