Friday, April 6, 2012

Staghorn Love

Happy Good Friday! 
I have crown molding on the brain and will start (with the help of my dad and brother) the daunting crown molding project tomorrow in Henry's new room.
In the mean time I wanted to tell you (again) about my love for anything that grows vertical on a wall.  
Back in November of 2010 I blogged about my obsession of vertical gardens.
My love affair continues with Staghorn Ferns.
I have been admiring them for awhile now.
I love them in large groupings like the ones on this patio.

Steven-Gambrel-Parrish-Art-Museum-1
They look good all by themselves too.

Picture of Staghorn Fern (Platycerium superbum)

How about indoors on some interesting driftwood?

Platycerium bifurcatum

They can be mounted on pallets. 
Here is a tutorial.
You just need fishing line and some moss.

02-24-staghornkimber1_rect540

Here's my new Staghorn. 
He's going in the new Man Cave (I think?).
It's like having a living rack of antlers on the wall, except Bambi's mother wasn't harmed in the hanging.
To see other vertical gardens I've made and blogged about go here.

Thanks for checking it out.
Happy Easter!


6 comments:

  1. Love staghorns, Shannon. I gave my dad one over 20 years ago and it's still going strong on their patio.
    I can't wait to see H's room!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! My oldest is begging her boyfriend (who works at Home Depot in the lawn and garden dept) to bring her a pallet home! LOL She wants to grow a vertical garden. He just laughs, and says, no way...not in the apartment...maybe when we get a house!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to show my husband your vertical gardens!! He's a landscape designer/contractor and thinks big - patio covers, fireplaces, water features, so I make sure to show him your ideas because he knows those touches are as important as the big things, but he's a guy, and well, you know how that can be!! ;)

    I really do like the idea of it as a replacement for real antlers in the new Cave!! I can't wait to see it all done!! (no pressure!!!) :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Came over from a blog party, I think Cowgirl Up. You have a great site. I will be back and am following! Read a few of your posts and I have stayed at Hotel Del. Such a great place and lucky you are so close.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Shannon,
    Yours look great! Didn't know about them until my parents inherited a massive one with their new home in Florida. It would have taken 3 men to move it. Just so neat. I have moved my blog by the way and wanted to drop you my new link! Hope all is well!
    www.sweetsanitydesigns.com/blog

    Kerry

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh these are beautiful! i'm doing a post today on staghorn ferns and google sent me here, I love your photos!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...