Thursday, March 21, 2013

Vertical Pallet Garden Update

Well hello my long lost blogging buddies! 
 I've been on a long hiatus from blogging and I don't have any earth shattering reason why?  
I hope you have been enjoying 2013 and that Spring is just around the corner for my friends living in cold climates.  
We are enjoying beautiful, mild Spring Break temperatures here in San Diego.
I thought I'd give you a little update of my vertical pallet garden.
It's filled in nicely since I last blogged about it.


I originally posted back in November 2011 about how to construct a vertical pallet garden.  
It was an experiment that went horribly wrong and you can read all about it in this post, Plan B.

This is the original from 2011


Here is my back up Plan B
faux succulents.


                               The live succulent vertical garden turned into one big gnat farm in my house.  

Totally gross! 
                       
  I went with a faux succulents for the indoors and remade my original one to hang outside.
Here is the Plan B option for indoors.


Here is the outside pallet redone after getting rid of all the old plantings and gnat farm.
I started with small cuttings and laid the pallet flat for two weeks.
After two weeks I hung it up.  
Bad idea, to soon!
2 weeks laying horizontal wasn't enough time for the cuttings to root.  
Better to wait more like a month.
Some of the little cuttings fell out to their death before they could take root.
I'm so impatient sometimes.




I screwed large hooks into my eaves to hang the pallet.
Don't hang something this heavy from your eaves unless you know they can support the weight.  
This thing is incredible heavy when it's wet.



Mine has been hanging for about eight months and it's doing fine.
This is a north east facing wall that gets great morning sun.



Before



After
Here's how it looks today.
I have since removed the candle sconce.  It was getting to rusty outside.    
The cuttings are filling in nicely and ready for me to trim off some of the babies to grow more succulents.



I'm off to weed my vegetable beds and get them ready to plant.  
More work to be done.  
Hope your spring garden is bringing you happiness.

To see more detailed instruction on how to construct your own vertical pallet garden click here.

Thanks for checking it out.




6 comments:

  1. Hi! Hope you are doing well. You've been missed. I love both the faux and the real. We have ton of planting to do once the weather warms up. Hard to believe my baby is almost done with her first year of college!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you're back! Love your ideas. Nice to know I'm not the only one who has failures... love the "after"! Hope to be gardening soon, right now we have another couple of inches of snow on the ground - boo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your garden looks lovely. I am currently making some for my garden and I was wondering how you got the colour on your pallet. I love the shade of blue. Can you tell me how you got this effect please. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good idea! Especially if you don't have garden. ;-)

    Great, inspiring blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I have taken a break from blogging as well. I've been in school, which really messes up EVERYTHING else.

    Thanks for the advice on the windows. You are right ... it is a tough one. I'm not a fan of 15 foot window walls for multiple reasons. And I practically need a scaffold to hang anything up. Your idea is a good one ... I picked up some panels at Ikea and I'm going to see how that works. Thanks!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome back, you have been missed. I love the vertical garden idea but I am so afraid that I would be too impatient. How heavy do these gardens usually become? I also adore the fact that you admitted to failure. You only fail when you stop trying.

    Jerry @Online PhD Resources

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...