Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Got Rope?

I've been roping.

Not this kind.

This kind.
(Although I might have let out a "Yippee Ki Yay" when I finished roping my chandelier.)


Rope and twine are big in home decor. 
Haven't you seen it more and more these days?
Check out these wine barrel chandeliers suspended by rope and antique pulleys from Restoration Hardware.


I had some rope left over from a macrame project and here's what I did with it.


You can buy the rope at Restoration Hardware with nice metal finished end hooks, but it's pricey.
 




$150 - $350


Or you can buy it by the foot for much less at your favorite hardware store.

I hung these these H4H lanterns over my island on either side of a candelier.  To see how I took these $15 lanterns and replaced my can lights with them go here
Swapping out the middle chain for some rope was an inexpensive (free in this case) textural change. 

Here is the heavy metal look.

Here's the new rope look.

 I just removed the chain and looped the rope into the ceiling mount and the candelier. 
I secured it with some twine and it's done. 



I liked it so much I added rope to the chandelier over my dining room table.  Adding it over an electrical cord takes a little longer.  This isn't the the greatest tutorial I've ever done, but it's easy.  First determine the length of rope you need. Make sure you have enough for the loop at the top and the bottom of the chandelier.  Because this was an existing chandelier, I had to remove each link of chandelier chain with pliers.  This is the most time consuming part of the project.  I had to use pliers to open each piece of chain to un thread the electrical wire that was snaked through it.  You will need to support the weight of chandelier during this step.  The electrical cord is not made to support the weight of a chandelier.  Get a friend to hold the chandelier while you work on the rope.  If you don't support the weight of the chandelier, it could pull out of the ceiling and fall, very bad
Unwrap the rope and re wrap it around the wire, starting from the top and working down.  Wrap it as tight as you can because it will untwist sightly when you're finished.  Secure the top with twine and work your way down.   

Secure the bottom, trim the extra and you're done. 

After taking these pictures I realized I needed to trim a little more from the top loop.
Pictures are great for fine tuning projects. 
For some reason it's easier for me to notice what needs tweaking? 

That's better.


Even if you don't have extra rope laying around and you have to buy it, this is a pretty inexpensive project to add some texture to your hanging lights.
 I like the rustic rope with the crystal and metal chandelier.


What do you think?
Heavy metal or rustic rope?
Made any rope projects lately? 
I'm out of rope for now, but I'm looking out for more rope project possibilities.

Thanks for checking it out.


To see more rope projects go here.

Living Savvy

15 comments:

  1. Love it! I love the iron mixed with the little bit of rustic. Isn't it amazing what a little piece of rope can cost all because it is sold at Restoration Hardware???!!! Nuts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really like the rope, great to add a rustic look! Checked your other rope projects, very nice, and I do remember macrame! Had a few!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the rope...a great way to change things up...bye-bye metal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shannon you are always thinking..........you're so jazzy snazzy! Love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i will join you on the yippy kay yeah dance. go, girl. you are amazing. love it all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh I like!
    I am going for rustic chic in my bedroom and I might need to add some rope into the lighting. hmmmm. Thanks for the inspiration (as always)!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the rope, it looks great! I want one of those wine barrel chandeliers from Restoration Hardware, can you make one of them for me? Love your ideas.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful project and a great tranformation. I absolutely love RH lighting. You have made this look easy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks really pretty. What a great project.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea! I love the character this adds to the chandy.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting on the replacement slipcover!
    Cate

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks amazing and is such a clever idea! I love using jute string for all kinds of different projects... maybe I'll have to take it up a notch and use rope someday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks great. I would never have thought of this. I need some rope now. :/ lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the look! I found you on Delightfully Inspiring and I'm now following you. I would appreciate it if you could do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are brilliant. Making an antique-encyclopedia-covered chandelier today. Will definitely finish it off with a rope!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wondering where the chandelier in the middle was purchased?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...